Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What I do when I don't write.





So what do I do when I am between blogger posts or fiction novel chapters? I paint. I paint traditional Chinese brush paintings. I paint fish such as koi and carps, water lilies, lotus flowers, but my favourite subject is bamboo. I even manage to add a little Chinese characters to it, though I don't speak Chinese, nor can I write Chinese. I just collect short poems about bamboo and fish in Chinese and copy them. Each painting gets its finishing touch by adding the artist's stamp in red. I have two signature stamps: the smaller one depicts a pen-feather and my European initials V.R. The little feather represents my nickname in Dutch. People tend to call me Little Feather in the Netherlands. The bigger red stamp has my Tibeto/Sino name of Pantau or Pantao, a peach reputed to be food for Taoist fairies. I tend to sell my painting between 1000 and 3000 THB, but most of the time, I give them away as presents. One painting is going to be hanging in a restaurant in Pattaya. It will be given to the owner on his birthday on 5 July.

2 comments:

  1. To me, the bamboo seems tranquil and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting bamboo is a form of meditation for me, indeed. That is why I prefer bamboo over any other subject.

    ReplyDelete