Thursday, June 18, 2009

2012 - THE END OF THE WORLD


Last night, after returning from a daytrip to Cambodia, I was talking to Jack, an American friend. He said, “Tao, there is something wrong with Time.”
I looked at the clock on the wall and then at my Rolex.
“Nope. It’s good.”
“No, I mean, I feel time is speeding up. For weeks now, I have a feeling that days don’t last as long as they used to.”
“What have you been drinking?”
“Coffee and water. I quit drinking chocolate martinis. I am talking about the string-theory, about the universe, about the end of the world.”
“What about the end of the world?”
“Does 2012 mean anything to you?”
“Yes, Jack. Between 21 and 23 December 2012, the world comes to an end…according to some people who started this urban legend, based on the fact that the Mayan Calendar end on around that period.”
“Do you think the end of the world will happen in 2012.”
“No, we’ll still be drinking chocolate martinis in 2012. But I do have a feeling the world is about the go through a major change, due to the economic recession. More and more people will decide to life outside the system, as I have. People will stray away from consumerism. More people will live in self-sufficient communities, growing their own veggies. Countries will sign peace deals, implement a democratic system, other countries will go to war, and it will be ugly. Iran, North Korea will go mad. I feel an upcoming war in Asia against America. And it’s North Korea. I have this feeling and I believe my premonitions are right. When I travelled to Cambodia with a group I had a premonition of an upcoming accident. A big accident. I saw a big truck colliding with a minivan and lots of bodies on the road. I told people to buckle up. They thought I was a bit crazy. One woman in our group showed up 10 minutes late. When were an hour away from the border, torrential rain came down the sky. When our van approached an intersection, we noticed a big truck that had collided with a similar van just 10 minutes before. There were bodies all over the road. If the woman had shown up on time and not ten minutes later, it could have been us.”

On a lighter note I can inform you that I have been enjoying some miniature gardening. I have been creating a miniature lotus pond for my balcony at our summer residence. On the photo you can see how our staff is tending to the pond. The pond has 7 fish in it who will eat mosquito larvae in case one of those girls decide to use the still water for breeding. The fish are happy, one lotus opened today in direct sunlight between 8 and 11, and the owner and staff are pleased as well. I have also bought an orchid, which is the tulip of Thailand, and soon I am going to recreate a miniature Japanese garden.

My staff tending to my lotus pond.



They were so happy, they started dancing together. Please note they are both male.

1 comment:

  1. It must be gret having sucha compliant staff!
    While I've heard of the NAyan 2012 end of the world, I'm not so sure that the sudden attention being paid to it isn't anything more than a sympton of the genreral anxiety so many people are feeling. Yes the world economy and political situation has turned nasty for many. As it's usually bad for some group, this isn't unusual in and of itself. I think the "Information Age" has led to such an overload that people in general are overwhelmed by the plethora of information, both rumor and hard data, that can be so exhausting to sort out. We are bombarded by so much that seems to require our attention that all most people can do is throw up their hands in exhausted frustration. Best solution: turn of all the computers and either rest or meditate.

    ReplyDelete