Friday, June 19, 2009

LES GIRLS

Last night, my friends and I went to see a so called kathoey-show at The Venue in Pattaya, Thailand. Not only was I surprised by the professionalism of the club’s performers who lip-synced on the familiar gay favouristes such as Liza, Marilyn, Donna, Madonna, Cher, Shirley Bassey, Three Degrees, and so on, but I had the pleasure to hear the announcement of a very special guest star. “Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome Karen, one of the famous Austrialian Les girls.”

Les Girls was a famous Australian 1950s group of cross-dressing performers extraordinaire. I even remember a scene of the movie Precilla Queen of the Dessert, when Guy Pierce mentions that the other “girl” used to be a “Les Girl”.
Now I had the change to see 78-year-old Karen performing at The Venue, performing Liza’s New York New York on stage.
I managed to get a picture with the elderly girl. She stole my heart.


Karen of Les Girls and I after her brilliant performance.






No comments:

Post a Comment