Sunday, July 12, 2009

WRITERS ARE BORING PEOPLE

Driving my jeep through snow covered mountains toward the remote village of Braumaur in the Chamba Valley (Indian Himalayas)
Those were exciting experiences.
.
I received an email from a friend in Bangkok. He told me he was highly disappointed in my recent posts as they were so shallow.

“You used to write exciting stories about the mysteries of the universe, how to heal people, about coincidental meetings, about amazing trips in the Himalayas. Now you post videos about your clock? What are you trying to develop into: a cyber exhibitionist? You’re posting videos that show that you have a bunch of condoms laying around in your so called office! What are you trying to do? Advertise safe sex? What’s wrong with you?”

“Errrrrr.”

Sorry. I ran a little dry on exciting stories. Writers are very boring people who sit at home behind a computer most of the time, creating characters that are far more interesting than they are, experiencing things they can only dream of. There was a time (7 years in India) when I could produce a new epic novel a year. The most exciting thing that happened to me this week was when I was walking in a shopping street and stepped on what felt like a Coca cola bottle. I produced one more step forward, looked behind me to see what I had just stepped on, and saw a big brown rat limping away, looking at me with an expression of pain and “you bitch!” on his face.

Apart from that exciting moment, I have been trying to improve my skills as a wanna-be digirati. Yesterday, an elderly friend of mine and I agreed in the cafe that we need to keep up with modern technology. I want to be able to fix my computer myself, figure out how I can get rid of viruses, how to resize 8 MB photos to 50 KB photos so they are easily uploadable on the Facebook, Blogger or as email attachments. I want to be able to do what kids do with their computer. I want to be able to speak and see moving faces of loved ones on the other side of the world. Yesterday I learned how to upload a few videos on youtube. Not because it matters, but because I want to say: I can! So I uploaded 4 videos on youtube that probably nobody is interested in, but I just wanted to know if I could. And I could.

To conclude this post, I must admit that travellers experience a lot and I feel I am no longer a traveller. Though I had homes in India and wasn’t a traveller all the time, I travelled a lot in the Himalayas in my jeep which gave me ample experiences and encounters to write about. I am already looking forward to spending three months in India next spring. I expect a lot of posts and videos with exciting material. So hang in there, my dear reader; I am working on getting a more interesting life. For this year I have a few trips planned. I intend to go to Laos, as well as to my favourite Thai town called Prachuapkhirikhan. I also feel the need to travel all the way to Surat Thani in the south, just to visit the night market, which is the best in Thailand.
.
Below I show you how I just learned to paste two clips together with Windows Movie Maker. Wow. This short video shows my 1 sq foot Japanese garden and my bowl with lotus flowers.

4 comments:

  1. If I had a garden like that, the neighborhood cats would pee in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garden is on the terrace of a skyscraper so no cats that way up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the shorts form the Dharamsala area. SUch breath taking vistas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will write soon about his particular trip with my friend Hiroshi as it was quite an ordeal to cross the first Himalayan range. There was still too much snow.

    ReplyDelete