Wednesday, May 27, 2009

REIKI - SENSE AND NONSENSE (part 2)

Rei Ki
.

Since I became acquainted with Reiki in 2000, I was quite skeptical. I had been living in the Himalayas for a little while when I met a female Tibetan Reiki Master who taught me the basics of Reiki.
Simply explained, a Reiki practitioner puts his/her hands on particular positions on someone’s body to transfer energy. This is supposed to heal the patient.
First, she showed me how to put my hands on 7 different positions on the body which would help to open up the patients' 7 chakras or energy centres. She told me about Universal Life Force Energy. She explained that a Reiki practitioner was a channel to transfer that energy from the universe through the hands into a patient.
I nodded while I thought: Yep, sure, great. Next you’re going to tell me you’re the worldly manifestation of one aspect of the Buddha.
She would later teach me the 21 different places on the body and the appropriate hand positions. She believed it wasn’t even necessary to touch a person and that I could just hold my hands above the particular body parts. If I felt the need to touch a patient, I could do so, but never touch particular body parts; namely a persons’ private parts.
“O, damn!” I responded.

I didn’t take Reiki very seriously at first, though I started treating people on a regular basis. The people I treated were a lot less skeptical. Something happened to them! They would always tell me how relaxed they felt, sometimes emotional, relieved, better, whatever. They all responded in a positive manner. Only one in 100 patients would say: Well, I feel neutral. I feel the same as I did before you touched me with your healing Reiki hands, Madam!

Okay. If I just travelled from whatever stressfull country to the Himalayas and meet a person with a soothing voice who would put me comfortably in a horizontal position and spend an hour or longer giving me unconditional attention whilst hearing beautiful relaxing spiritual music and smelling wonderful incense, I would say: Yeah, that was a wonderful, relaxing experience. I feel much better now. Hello!!!
But can I call that a healing experience? Would it cure people from whatever disease? Because this is what many Reiki Masters/Teachers often claim.

I believe that stress can create illnesses. I think most traditional physicians would say the same. So Reiki is a way to relieve people from stress, thus preventing people from developing stress-related illnesses. But curing cancer and asthma with universal life force energy. Nah!

I have been a Master myself now for over 5 years and have treated about 800 people. I know, because I keep track of numbers and keep an administration of their voluntary financial donations. I never ask for money and I never solicit patients, but people are send to me by those who know I am a Reiki Master. People always ask me: how much? And though I never expect money for a Reiki-treatment, I tell them: a small donation for my Foundation to help Tibetan children would be highly appreciated. Some people give/gave me 10 rupees, others 1,000, and many people paid for my lunch or dinner, provided they could join me.

When you visit India, in particular Dharamsala, you see advertisements on posters on many walls of mostly western residents who claim to be Reiki teachers. They charge 500 USD or even 10,000 USD to tell you in a few hours or days what I wrote above in a few sentences. In addition they make all kinds of claims that I just can’t agree with for the simple reason that it just doesn’t ring true to me. If someone tells me something and my heart tells me: this is nonsense, then it is the Universe that tells me it is nonsense. I always remember Oprah saying: If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and look likes a duck, then it is a duck.

In 2004, my German Master who made me a Master/Teacher told me about the secret symbols used by Masters. And I thought: What? Symbols? Secret? To help people I need secret symbols? Are you mad, dear Master?
According to my Teacher, without knowing how to use those secret symbols I would never be a effective practitioner.
What?
Without being attuned, I wouldn’t have the power of a Reiki Master.
What?
Without paying 10.000 dollars to a teacher who teaches me secret symbols (that you can find via Google), I am not a real Reiki practitioner.
What?
Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but, Mrs Tanaka, a student of a student of Usui Mikao herself said that you need to ask money because otherwise you’re unable to transfer the healing energy. She set her price at 10,000 USD.
What? Who the f**k is Mrs. Tanaka?

Well, scientists have tried to prove the effectiveness of Reiki but they can’t. They can only state that it may help relieve stress or have some sort of placebo effect, but nothing more.
I agree with the scientists.

Honestly, I think many Reiki Masters want to play doctor. They want to feel special. They want people to look up to them and say: wow, you’re helpful…in a spiritual way.
To me that is the opposite of a spiritual healer, as this feeling has everything to do with fluffing the ego. That is everything a practitioner should not do or be. A Master is free from ego.

However…I am embarrassed to say that when I put my hands on somebody for 72 minutes I do get the feeling of being a little bit of a doctor. I feel I am helping someone to feel better. Especially when those people respond in a way that makes me elevate from the floor about 10 centimetres. It takes a strong character not to become arrogant. Over the years, I have met a lot of arrogant Reiki Masters in Dharamsala who tried to survive in India by teaching people a bit of rubbish and asking them a lot of money.

I am a realistic and skeptical person. I can’t help it. I engage in matters that I am sure are actually NOT as helpful as my teachers or even patients claim to be, but for some reason have a positive effect on people. So how do I need to feel about my practicing Reiki? Have I ever felt that I actually cured someone? I must admit: I HAVE! I’ll tell you more about this in part III.
I never paid any money to any of my teachers. They spent many hours, even entire days explaining Reiki to me, giving me attunements, and fluffing my aura, but I never paid them for their services. In exchange for their services I offered them my friendship and I taught them a little about Buddhism and the way to happiness, especially by giving up on ego.

The secret symbol CHO KY REI or Power Symbol


The secret symbol SEI HE KI or Mental/Emotional symbol.

The very secret symbol HON SHA ZE SHO NEN or Distance Symbol

The very secret Raku symbol.This symbol is used in the Master level of Reiki in the attunement process. It is used to seal the attunement process by closing the chakras of the student and to ground the student. It also plays a part in seperating the energies of the student and that of the master after the attunement has been completed thus ending the attunement process.

The very, very, very secret symbol DAI KO MYO or Master Symbol

A modern version of the incredibly secret Master Symbol.
Above symbols are very helpful to treat sphilkes in patients' genecktic gezoink.

2 comments:

  1. If stress is causing someone to grind their teeth in their sleep and your treatmnet stops this, didn't you just cure their toothache?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Joel. I think you should receive an anward for being the most quick and loyal follower of my blog. You're quicker than I can edit out my own mistakes when checking my scribbles.

    Yes, I did help a few people with minor problems. My most rewarding experience was with a very unhappy but very beautiful Japanese boy who is now a successful Reiki and Yoga teacher in Tokyo.

    I will conclude this Reiki-thing with a positive part III, though my Barbra Streisand finger nails prevent me from typing well these days.

    ReplyDelete