Sunday, May 31, 2009

FRIENDSHIP

Matthew and I exactly one year ago.
.
A few weeks ago I was having a late breakfast with my best friend in Pattaya whilst watching the sunset. We were discussing our birthday parties as we have our birthdays on practically the same day in May. We are also very much alike and though we are best friends we tend to clash all the time. My friend was a bit nervous about turning 40, a number that he has been fearing for many years. Nevertheless he decided to throw a huge party on Saturday night, May 30th. I told him jokingly, I would write a 6 minute speech about our friendship. It took me 2 hours to write the speech. On Friday night, my friend told me within 2 seconds that he cancelled the party. He just couldn’t celebrate his 40th birthday.

So I am totally verklempt, as I spent all this time writing my speech. So dear Matthew, you can read it online right now.

Dear Matthew, your highness, friends, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, and animals.

I promise I won’t take much of your time but I wanted to add a serious note to this special and festive occasion, despite the fact that I am known to be hilariously funny.
I want to say a few words about the friendship between Matthew and I. A friendship that might be as unusual and unique as a friendship between a cat who takes care of a squirrel, or a horse taking care of a dog, Simon Cowell being friends with Paula Abdul or Michael Jackson being best friends with an adult person.

Friendship is co-operative and supportive behaviour between two or more people.
Friendship connotes a relationship which involves mutual knowledge, esteem, and affection as well as respect along with a degree of rendering service to friends in times of need or crisis. Friends will welcome each other's company and exhibit loyalty towards each other, often to the point of altruism. Their tastes will usually be similar and may converge, and they will share enjoyable activities. They will also engage in mutually helping behaviour, such as exchange of advice and the sharing of hardship. A friend is someone who may often demonstrate reciprocating and reflective behaviours.

The value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis: the tendency to desire what is best for the other, mutual understanding, sympathy, empathy, and honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart.
A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud.
The only reward of virtue is virtue; and the only way to have a friend is to be one.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them.

I say: do not save your loving speeches for your friends till they are dead; do not write them on their tombstones, speak them rather now instead. When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves. Life without a friend is like death without a witness.

There are many types of ships. There are wooden ships, plastic ships, and metal ships, but the best and most precious types of ships are friendships. A friend is one who walks in when others walk out.
Matthew, I appreciate you, as you understand the importance of my finger nails and my love for Barbra Streisand, and I can never tire you by repeating myself over and over again about those two most important matters in my life.
Hence, my friend, I say with respect that you do understand one thing: that if you walk in front of me, I may not follow. That if you walk behind me, I may not lead. Instead we walk beside each other.

It is widely known to people that you refer to me as Mom, and I refer to you as Son. Sometimes I call you Matthew, and sometimes you call me stupid bitch. You even refer to me as the grandmother of that hairy little dog of yours. However, when you do call me bitch or grandmother it always has a ring of respect and majesty to it, and when you slap me in the face in public, you always do it so beautifully. Interestingly, when those referrals issue from our mouths or if we beat each other up in public, it never occurs to us as hurtful, untrue or strange. This proves to me that we are true friends.

I will end this speech with a poem:

You need someone, silent and sincere
Who, when it's necessary, will pray for you and fight for you
Only when you have someone who laughs with you and cries with you
Only then you can say, I have a friend.

Matthew, I congratulate you with your 29th birthday and hope there will be many more 29th birthdays to come. You’re not a dummy darling, and you’ve made it and everybody should be shmeichling you now. You look more than a bissel good for someone your advanced age. It’s hard to believe you can look that good without working out, but you don’t believe in exercise. It’s a shande, but I know your motto. If God had wanted you to bend over, He would have put diamonds on the floor. It might be an idea to shprinkle your floor with photographs of pretty boys. Now before I am getting you verklempt and giving you shpilkes in your geneckticgezoink, I will end this fahkakte affair with the words: Guzunt and mazzletov. I bless you and may all good things come your way. You’re like butter, a big stick of butter.

Thank you.

One must be very confident to put this photo online.

No comments:

Post a Comment