Wednesday, May 13, 2009

BANGKOK TWIN TOWER INFERNO


It took a few years to finish the construction of a high-rise twin tower office building on Ratchadapisek Road in Bangkok. The inferno didn’t happen last night, but last year, however, I haven’t shared my experience with anyone yet, apart from a few Bangkokian friends.
One night around 3.30 am, I was getting ready for my nightly nap, when I suddenly heard sirens wailing in our area. It sounded as if every rescue team in Bangkok had been summoned to advance on Ratchadapisek Road. I looked outside and to my surprise both towers of the entire 55-something floor office building were on fire, one day before their official opening.
Within half an hour, the towers just burned down from ground floors to the roofs but didn’t collapse. I was able to watch everything on live television as well, as my view of the lower part of the twin towers was blocked by a 20-story hotel, so I could only see the top of the twin towers on fire.
Some people said that it was foul play, as the owner of the building wasn’t able to find enough tenants. Burning down his building might have provided him with some good insurance money. However, this is just speculation.

At least, my view is never boring in the city that never sleeps. I love Bangkok.

2 comments:

  1. The towers were empty, and I don't think any of the rescue people got injured.

    ReplyDelete