Tuesday, May 5, 2009

IMPLEMENTING BUDDHISM IN DAILY LIFE

A view of the Dauladhar from a spot close to my home.
Me standing on a flat piece of rock where I would meditate on emptiness.


Someone asked me how I implement Buddhism in my daily life. In short, I could say: I try to be a good person in order to find enlightenment, but that is a little easy, right? During my 7 years in India, I would often listen to the teachings of various lamas. They would teach me meditation techniques and give me an understanding of the true nature of things. Living in the Himalayas I would often find a quiet place somewhere on a mountain, close my eyes and calm the mind by focusing on my breathing. In addition, I would always bear in mind the 168 Buddhist vows I took in 2001. Therefore, there are many things that I need to do or refrain from. Not always easy, as I sometimes like to drink an ice-cold beer and enjoy smoking a cigarette.

If there is one thing that has changed me through Buddhism is my mind. It has become a calm mind. I don’t get upset anymore (unless someone talks bad about Barbra Streisand in my presence), I don’t get angry if people wrong me. I accept things the way they are and practice tolerance if people make a mickey out of me. Negative things don’t bother me anymore.
I never raise my voice, even if I have every reason to do so. I sometimes cry when people hurt me, but I no longer feel the need to fight. In addition, my overall happiness is high and the need for materialistic stuff has only decreased. I moved from India to Thailand with 20kg of personal possessions. Now I own even less. Everything I have fits in one suitcase. I do not accept gifts from people. They may treat me to a nice meal or other things to enjoy, but I don’t want to add to my personal possessions. If the world would be full of people like me, there wouldn’t be any economy I guess.
People often don’t understand why I live like this. Many Thais are materialistic. In Bangkok, I am surrounded by people who have some money to spend, especially the people closest to me. They always see me in the same clothes.
In October 2006 I bought three pairs of jeans, one pair of shorts, one yellow and one black polo shirt.
I have three 50bt black tops and one bra that I only wear when I go dancing in a gay club in Bangkok (most of the time my top tends to get off after some time in order not to stand out to much among those fine scantly clad men, thus I need to wear at least a bra which I normally don’t have to). I have three pairs of socks. I have one pair of sandals, one pair of trainers, and one pair of leather shoes. I have one yogini habit. I have one old laptop computer, a small electronic Chinese/Thai/English dictionary, and a simple mobile phone that I hardly ever use. I have one bikini and a small cardboard box with some makeup stuff. I have five pairs of underwear. I have one tailor-made black blazer (in case I need to appear somewhere dressed up casually but nice).
In India, I have a tin box parked at a friend’s house with my traditional Tibetan costume and a Buddha statue. That is about everything I have. Correction: A few things I accepted as gifts; a wedding ring with a flawless 1-carat diamond, and a Rolex watch.

I must admit that having next to nothing has been very helpful to feel content and free from most daily worries.

In addition, I would attend yoga-classes in India a few times a week. Yoga is more than being able to hold your body in intricate positions. Yoga is a way of life, a way of thinking, acting, eating and so on. I still do one hour of yoga every day and I swim about 1 mile in the pool as fast as I can. I often use the time in the pool to think up new scenes for my new novel. After swimming, I do my yoga without any thinking.
I don’t eat processed food. I always smile, even when walking alone. I have also been told I sleep with a smile on my face....

1 comment:

  1. There have been many times in my life when I have gone for extended periods being extremely anti-consumer, simply refusing to buy anything unless I had a demonstrable need for it. My younger bother moved out and left behind a brown leather jacket which I've been wearing for at least three years. Finally last fall I bought a brown leather cap to match it. I didn't buy a new t-shirt for several years until a cat shredded one while I was wearing it! (He did not want to go to the vet!)
    The biggest point is not necessarily how much one can do without but the frame of mind, the intent behind why one is doing something like this: If my goal isn't positive, then I shouldn't have been doing it!

    ReplyDelete