Friday, January 16, 2009

SOUTH-EAST ASIAN TSUNAMI

On Sunday, 26 December 2004, I decided to get up early (shortly before noon). About a half hour walk from my hut on the cliff of Varkala Beach was a small upscale hotel called the Taj Garden Retreat. This hotel allowed non-residents to spend their Sundays at their pool and enjoy a buffet lunch for 200 rupees. That was a good deal. I must say, 200 rupees for a one-day five-star experience is not much, even for a low-budget person such as me. The price included a bed with mattress plus towel plus parasol at the pool. As my hut and my life in India didn’t include any luxury, I would occasionally treat myself to a Sunday at the pool of the Taj Hotel.
I got up at 11.00, had a light breakfast at Café del Mar next door, and started walking to the Taj Garden. I greeted the doormen, entered the lobby and found my way through the building to the garden at the back. It had a wonderful kidney-shaped pool and a wonderful view of the Arabian Sea. Normally I would only encounter very view people at the pool but this day it was busy. Very busy. All beds were taken by western tourists.
I felt disappointed. I had been looking forward to spending this day at the pool, surrounded by luxury, enjoy the buffet lunch around 3 p.m., but I guess that wasn’t going to happen today. The pool man apologized to me. “Sorry Madam. It’s very busy with hotel guests today. I am afraid we cannot accommodate you this time. It’s very high season right now. Maybe in a couple of weeks it will be more relaxed and perhaps you should come a little earlier next time.”
I left the Taj, disappointed and dissatisfied. Okay, what to do now, I thought. I had been looking forward to swimming in fresh water for a change. I shrugged my shoulders and walked down Beach Road towards the beach.

It was a beautiful day, rather busy with Indian day-trippers from upcountry who were visiting the nearby temple and enjoying a stroll along the seashore. I walked towards the north-end of the beach and sat down on the sand near the area where most western tourists could be found. I greeted the two Indian life-guards that kept an eye out on the swimmers, as the current was known to be unpredictable in this area. I glanced at my watch. It was shortly after noon. I gazed at the horizon and felt the sun burning on my skin. Perhaps not a great idea to have my white skin exposed to the burning sun at this time of the day. I ran a few options of “things to do” through my mind. Go back to my hut atop the cliff and read a book in my hammock. Perhaps have a chat with my neighbours, Tenzin and Dolker, who had a small souvernir shop in their hut. Have a swim in the sea and then return to my hut. Yes. That last option felt alright.
I was wearing my swimsuit underneath my clothes. I pulled my shirt over my head, got rid of my skirt and folded them up before I put them in my bag. I had a look around. There were perhaps a hundred western backpackers on the beach. I observed the sea. Normally there was a fierce surf with high waves but today it was unusually calm. The sea was like a mirror and I had never seen it like that before. Wonderful water for swimming. I was looking forward to my dip. Suddenly I felt a shiver run down my spine. I didn’t feel comfortable. I felt restless. For some inexplicable reason I changed my mind about swimming in the sea. By now I had come to take these inexplicable signs or intuitive feelings seriously. I felt uncomfortable being on this lovely beach and there was an urgent need to leave. I took my clothes out of my bag and got dressed. I picked up my bag and was about to walk to the staircase that went up the 30-metre (100 feet) high cliff when the life-guards asked me why I decided to leave already. “Don’t know. I changed my mind. I am going back to my room. I’ll come back later when it’s not so hot.”

I walked to the cliff and climbed the staircase. I turned left on the footpath along the cliff. It was only a short walk to my hut from here. I passed Tenzin and Dolker’s souvenir shop. Tenzin stood outside looking at the sea. “Hi Pantau. I thought you said you were going to the Taj Hotel today.”
“I did go but it’s very busy right now and there were no beds left for me. Bummer. I was looking forward to a day at the Taj, but I guess the gods had some other plan in store for me.”
“You want to have lunch with us a little later?”
“Sure. I am not really hungry yet, but give me a shout when you are ready.”
I walked passed their shop and turned right. My hut was at the back, just a stone-throw away from their shop. I pressed the buttons of my digital door lock, went inside and put my bag on the bed. I took my small digital camera out of my bag when I suddenly heard Tenzin shouting my name. I came outside to see what was the matter.
“Pantau. Come! Something strange is happening!”
I could see him standing at the edge of the cliff facing the sea. I ran towards him, my camera still in my hand. I could see a number of waves, about two metres high, coming towards the beach. They appeared to approach the beach very slowly. All the tourists jumped up. Within seconds the first waves flooded the entire beach, but they flooded the beach rather slowly and no one was swept away. People waded through the water towards the rocks and the cliff’s staircase to get on dry land. Another wave hit the beach shortly after. No one had an idea of what was going on.
“This is very strange, Tenzin. I have never seen anything like this before. This is unusual. And look at all those people on the beach, they’re up to their knees in the water. O my God, look! Their bags and everything are dragged back into the sea. Holy cow! Look! The water is sucked back into the sea and it takes all their belongings with it. How odd. What on earth is going on?”

I started to take some pictures of what was unfolding in front of my eyes. Half an hour later the water started to retreat completely.
On Tenzin’s little television set inside the shop we saw that the world had been hit by the biggest earthquake in recorded history.
No people in Varkala died in the tsumami that started some six hours earlier off the coast of Indonesia. The tsumani travelled across the Indian Ocean, bounced off the Maldives Archipelago and travelled back to the south-west coast of India where Varkala is located.
The beach of Varkala remained closed for 10 days and monitored from the air by planes and helicopters until the authorities were sure that no more tsunamis could be expected.
North and south of Varkala Beach 168 people perished. In Kollam 131 died, Alappuzha 32, and in Ernakulam 5. A few hours south of Varkala in the Kanyakumari-area, around 10,000 people died.
The earthquake triggered a series of devastating tsunami along the coasts of most landmasses bordering the Indian Ocean, killing more than 225,000 people in eleven countries, and inundating coastal communities with waves up to 30 metres (100 feet) high. It was one of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, and Thailand were hardest hit.
With a magnitude of between 9.1 and 9.3, it was the largest earthquake ever recorded on a seismograph and had the longest duration of faulting ever observed. It caused the entire planet to vibrate as much as 1 cm (0.5 inches) and triggered other earthquakes as far away as Alaska.



12 comments:

  1. and this was the same tsunami that widowed Pong whom you met 10 months later in Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This more than enough to make one step in awestruck wonder at the ineffable workings of God (whichever name you use for her). As you can see, I've finished PHOLOMOLO. I think I should read PANTAU IN INDIA before venturing to say more but it hasn't arrived yet.
    ...peace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Amanda Vincent wrote: Life is never dull. Whether God has to do with all this; I am still sceptical, believe it or not. Did you like Pholomolo? Let me know what you think of Pantau in India. I have't read it in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brain is not,I feel, as quick and incisive as thirty years ago even though my hair is not yet grey. Prior to further pondering, I would note that you had legal and familial acceptance in Holland but not social. This contrasts to the social acceptance in Thailand where you would have lacked legal acceptance if you had been native. Despite this, you seem to feel more comfortable in Thailand.
    ...peace...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Though not an answer to my question, your observation is interesting. My immigration to Thailand had little to do with feeling accepted. I no longer seek approval of my fellow human beings. In India my history wasn't an issue either. Socially, it now appears that the Dutch didn't have many problems regarding this issue either. Professionally, yes. Commercial office life wasn't yet geared up to be open-minded regarding people with screwed up chromosomes. Perhaps I should start a seperate blog to address Pholomolo-type issues that I actually want to leave out of this particular blog. Thanks for your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do feel your life phenomenal and PHOLOMOLO superlative. May I still contact you after reading Puntau in India?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phenomenal? Wow! I am just a simple person with complex experiences and too much time. Of course you can contact me after reading Pantau in India. I do appreciate contact with my readers. That is why I write books. It's not about the royalties, believe me. Because of you I just started a Pholomolo-blog. I do like to seperate spirituality from gender identity. I guess that is why I wrote two autobiographies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As this relates to previous posts, I'll put it here: I now realize you were being for more than gentle in your reply about ineffable God. Having, to some small degree, experienced your years from suffering school yard bullies to mountain plane crashes and beyond in but a couple of days can easily unsettle the mind. When I received your reply, I had merely wanted to say something and not sound like a fool. Well, got the first bit.

    As far as leaving the beach prior to the tsunami, you wrote that you saw something unfamiliar about the sea that didn't fit your previous experience with the area. So there was no "Hand of God" as some would say but your knowledge and free will to act upon it.

    Now regarding the Thai man you met a few months later: it is more than presumptuous of me to think that anyone could go to a country so devastated by that tsunami and not meet someone affected by it.

    What kind of a god would I be positing were I to still claim the "Hand of God" in either act? On short winter days contemplating my taxes, such would be fitting. But only then in the bleakest of days and therefore not a true understanding of the godly power in each of us.
    Sometimes I think that formulating a narrowly precise question blinds one to the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Joel. In the future I will post my ideas on why these coincidences may or may not be an act of God. Reading my books and my weblog, you must, by now, understand that I do believe in a higher power that works in mysterious ways. Having said that, I like to remain sceptical and not rely on blind faith. This is what my teacher, the Dalai Lama, has taught me. In Buddhism one does not believe in God as westerners understand this phenomenon. However, in Pholomolo, I thanked the God of all things Queer to send me a man with a dead wife and two children, a man who was effected by the Tsunami, a Tsunami that unfolded in front of my own eyes, though in a different country and less devastating as with those living in South-West Thailand and other places. As Pong said: Everybody in Phuket was affected by the Tsunami in one way or another, but only one of the victims happened to fall in love with me under unusual circumstances. If that is not God's work I don't know what is. Having said that, this God might have been him and I as part of a greater intelligence. We both were looking for each other without knowing each other. The force of attraction helped us to find each other and even though a woman had to die in the process, it was karma that arranged for the things to unfold in this particular manner. In Holland we have a saying: One man's death is another man's bread.

    Love...
    Pantau

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rereading my earlier reply, I noticed an unclear sentence that I wish to correct.

    As Pong said: "Everybody in Phuket was affected by the tsunami in one way or another."

    He was the only victim that I fell in love with.

    The fact that I happened to meet Pong, a victim/survivor of the tsumani, I like to believe to be the work of a higher power. I met many survivors of the tsumani when I visited Phuket. This was by itself not unexpected. But meeting Pong was rather a coincidence. If I had not had developed inflammation in my left breast muscle during my stay in Patong and Kamala, I would not have consulted Dr. Pong in the hospital in Phuket Town. I first didn’t associate a problem in my breast with great happiness. I now think twice whenever I’m stuck with a problem. It may lead to something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes so there is a caring guiding Spirit amidst all this madness! Parts of what I wrote above may well have been an effort to push back against the blind sightless faith of so many soi-disant Christian evangelicals. I've heard too many claim thinking as the problem. To me this is like junking math because you added a sum wrong. The fault wasn't mathematics but in the application of it.

    ReplyDelete